Growing Yourself Up
How to bring your best to all of life’s relationships
To be human is to be in relationships. We can’t survive without them but it’s in relationships that we can so easily get unravelled. Some relationships just seem to do us in. Either we feel like we lose ourselves or feel burnt out from futile efforts to make things right for another. In our relationships we can experience the very best of ourselves and the very worst.
The message of Growing Yourself Up is that you can’t separate understanding the individual from understanding relationships. All of life’s relationships are integral to increasing self-awareness and maturity. And it’s not necessarily the comfortable relationships that promote personal growth. In this 2nd edition of the bestselling book, Jenny examines how to help others without fostering dependency, and how to determine what kind of help you or others want from therapists. This is in response to the many lay and professional people who have found this book valuable personally and want to know how to help others grow.
Drawing from Bowen family systems theory, the book takes you on a journey through each stage of life to see predictable patterns of relationships and to show how to use this knowledge to make purposeful adjustments in yourself; as well as lending a mature helping hand to others. The result is a sturdier self, sturdier relationships and a refreshing new way to view life’s challenges and opportunities.
- An invaluable resource for anyone interested in better understanding themselves and their relationship patterns, and who wants to improve their relationships.
- Updated 2nd edition includes valuable information on how to help others without fostering dependency.
- A helpful tool for mental health professionals and life coaches looking for a resource to help them in the work of helping individuals experiencing relationship difficulties (marriage problems or parenting challenges in particular).
- Bowen family systems theory is not that well known; this book therefore offers what will be a new approach to many looking to improve their relationships and their satisfaction with life in general.
- Simply written by a specialist in the field, the book is accessible to all.
- In contrast to the many ‘quick fixes’ promoted these days, this book outlines real, practical steps that anyone can take to bring about lasting change in their life.
|Medium||Pbk | 296 pages|