Wednesday 2 March 20229:00 - 16:00Add to calendar
Souths Leagues Club, 181 Milton Street, Mackay, QLD, 4740View map
|Trainer||Karen Young (AUS)|
|Includes||Catering, handbook and certificate|
Anxiety explained. Kids empowered!
Anxiety is a very normal human response but for as many as 1 in 5 young people, the symptoms become so intrusive, they significantly interfere with day to day living. The effects can steal into families, classrooms and friendships. They can undermine the way children see themselves and shrink their world – but it doesn’t have to be this way. Anxiety is very manageable when it is recognised and properly managed. With the right support children can be empowered with the skills and knowledge to manage anxiety and move forward with courage and resilience.
This dynamic workshop will help participants to recognise anxiety disorders in children and adolescents (5 - 18yr olds). It will delve into the obvious and not so obvious signs of anxiety, discuss where they come from and why they exist, and offer a range of practical, powerful interventions to assist participants to respond effectively within their own professional context.
Key content areas Karen will discuss include:
- An overview of the most common anxiety disorders in childhood and adolescence.
- Recognising symptoms which suggest anxiety, and differentiating anxiety from other problems with similar symptoms.
- Understanding the impact of anxiety on:
- Peer and family relationships.
- School performance, functioning and attendance.
- The potency of co-existing concerns such as depression and self-harm.
- Working with anxiety in a therapeutic setting including:
- Building a therapeutic rapport with children and teens with anxiety.
- What all children and teens need to know about anxiety, and how to support them in using this information to manage anxiety and build strength, courage and resilience.
- Why anxiety can happen without an identifiable trigger.
- Therapeutic interventions to help young people manage intrusive symptoms and difficult behaviours when anxiety is the fuel.
- Practical, proven strategies to strengthen children and teens against anxiety in the short and long term.
- Pushing back against the negative- building self-confidence, resilience and self-concept with young people with anxiety.
- Understanding the ways loving parents might inadvertently feed anxiety and undermine resilience, and how to work with this in a therapeutic setting.
Karen has worked as a psychologist in private practice and in educational and organisational settings. She has lectured and has extensive experience in the facilitation of personal growth groups. Her Honours degree in Psychology and Masters in Gestalt Therapy have come in handy at times. Karen has published two books for children to help them understand and manage anxiety – ‘Hey Warrior’ and ‘Hey Awesome’. She is an engaging and sought after speaker both at home in Australia and internationally, ensuring this will be a valuable training experience for all professionals looking to become effective allies for young people (5 - 18yrs old) in overcoming anxiety.